Wednesday 21 September 2011

T minus 10 days and counting!


In only 10 days my husband and I will be leaving Australia for a grand, impulsive worldwide adventure!

Our first stop is India. I’m excited, anxious, nervous, overwhelmed...but mostly impatient. I just want to be there already (I hate packing).

Our visas have been finalised which is a huge relief. We both got business visas (which cost us almost $850). The man at the consulate tried to convince my husband that I should only get the tourist visa (which is only $100) but I was insistent, and won out in the end. With the business visa I can star in all the Bollywood soapies and movies that will have me! So it's worth it. I've already started practising the famous "changing-the-light-bulb" dance step. I have to say, I'm pretty good at it.

I have made it my mission to do as much research on an expat’s life in Mumbai as I can before heading over. It has been fascinating!
I've read about how marvellous everything is, how horrifying everything is, how bad the author's diarrhea was... (some people share WAY too much detail). 
Actually I'm guilty of that too so be warned!

My conclusion from all that study - it is very important to always know where the nearest toilet is. And when an Indian man gropes your bottom while standing on a crowded train, a "swift elbow jab in the direction of the offender" should be your first reaction before they can scurry away. I'm practising this movement while I think of the next paragraph.


Anyway, my task list today:

- learn another 2 Hindi phrases (I have “Namaste” well and truly under my belt so it really is time to move on)
- continue packing (probably not going to happen)
- come to terms with the $550 I had to fork out for vaccinations (also unlikely to happen).
- finalise my photography portfolio
- cook something yummy (I just made this one up but I think it’s pretty important)
- day dream about my new life in Mumbai! The fabulous parties, the delicious food, the sarees, etc etc.




I'll leave you with a picture of me indulging in one of the last non-curry meals I'll be having for a while.


Yes, it's really that big. 


And no, I don't have any make up on so be kind!

No comments:

Post a Comment