Tuesday 15 November 2011

So many things to see and do, so little time!


I love making lists. My favourites being wish lists and shopping lists of course! I also enjoy making to-do lists. I love the feeling of being able to cross something off my list so much that sometimes I even write stuff that I've already done just so I can cross it off. But this list is stuff I haven't done yet, but want to do sometime while I'm living here in India.

10. Walk along Marine Drive
Why? Apparently it's "Ideal for a romantic or reconnaissance stroll...". It's a 3km stretch around a natural bay. To be honest, I'm expecting it to be like the rest of India - crowded and dirty. Bonus points if I even get to see the damn water.

9. Check out Colaba
Why? It's one of the richer suburbs of Mumbai near the beach. From what I've read it's got some nice restaurants and "lots of nice sh*t to look at" and you know me, I love looking at nice sh*t. 

8. Chor Bazaar & Crawford Market
Why? "Chor Bazaar" literally translates to "Thieves Market" so as you can guess, it's the best place to buy 2nd hand goods (that may or may not have previously belonged to your neighbour!).

7. See a Bollywood movie at the local cinema.
Why? I've heard that when Indians go to see a film, they get really into it. It's not uncommon for them to throw things at the screen or scream at the actors if they don't like what's happened or if the acting is horrid. Mind you, I wanted to do that while watching Friends with Benefits. Justin Timberlake's performance made me want to gouge out my eyes. I wouldn't have bothered going to see it except I got free tickets. And we all know how much I love free shit. 
Back to the Indians...as I said, they aren't shy in demonstrating their emotions. They will unashamedly and loudly cry or laugh during a movie. And that's a huge benefit to me since I'm still learning Hindi & I'm going to need all the help I can get to work out what the heck is happening.

6. Check out 'Aer' and Dome'
Why? They are both roof top lounge bars that look absolutely wicked!! Check out the google images for them (type Aer Mumbai or Dome Mumbai), & you'll see why I want HAVE to go! 

5. Go to Olives on a Thursday night. 
Why? Olives is a well known, up-market restaurant & bar that turns into a club on Thursday nights (they move all the chairs away to make room for a dance floor). I've read so much about it, it's time to see it for myself.

4. Mahalaxmi Dhobi Ghat (The Laundry Men)
Why? Lots of men doing laundry? Without being nagged by their wives? I have to see this for myself!
Here in India, it's not all that common to own a washing machine. Instead, a man comes and picks up your dirty washing and takes it to a massive outdoor laundry.
This is how someone else described it: "Dirty laundry from all over Mumbai is brought here and painstakingly hand washed by the dhobis (washermen) in the seemingly endless rows of concrete troughs." Sorry but I can't remember who I plagiarised that from. Don't tell on me ok?

 3. Gateway of India
Why? Because it's Mumbai's most recognized monument. Not of much interest to me really, but EVERY SINGLE article I read mentioned it, so I'll check it out.

2. Attend an Indian Wedding
Why? Because weddings are great fun! And weddings are a HUGE deal over here. We've been invited to one in February that has 800 guests (that's not a mistake, it's really 800!). So long as I'm not at the end of the food queue I'll be happy. 

1. Have a (first ever) white Christmas! We're deciding between Sik-kim and Leh. Josiah's leaning towards Leh, I'm thinking Sik-kim. Have a look at the pictures. What do you think? Cast your vote in the comments below!
Leh
Sik-kim


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the vote! We've actually just booked our flight tickets to Sikkim though :) Leaving in 2 weeks, we're so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its keyah jen i was the one who voted leh :) cant wait to see more stories keep them coming where are u of to next after india ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Keyah, thanks for commenting on my blog!! Not sure where we'll head to next. We'll stay here in India for at least another few months and use it as a base to travel to Nepal and possibly Sri Lanka. And then we might head to Egypt! Or maybe South America! There's so many places to explore!!

    ReplyDelete