Wednesday 1 February 2012

Today is our last day EVER in India. Hooray! We're flying to New York tomorrow with a one night stop over in Egypt. We land in Cairo at noon which means we should have plenty of time to see the Pyramids and Sphinx before it gets dark. I plan on indulging in all the wonderfully annoying touristy things like squealing at the first glimpse of the pyramids & riding on a camel with a dorky smile on my face.

To celebrate our final day here, we've decided to spend the day feasting on all our favourite Indian dishes while we pack. My goal is to leave India never wanting to taste another curry again!
So the theme for today's post is: Indian food!

Here are some pictures I've taken of meals we've had during our Indian adventure...
IDLI:
a breakfast dish made of fermented ground rice that is squished to form a pancake. By itself it’s rather bland, so they serve it with a brown soupy thing (sambar), or a chutney, or if you're really lucky (as one Indian put it) you get both. Our landlord brought some over for breakie a few weeks back (when we were still on friendly terms). We had a try but we didn't really like it so I put the rest it in a paper bag for the local beggars who rifle through our rubbish every morning looking for food. I would have taken it to them myself but I’d have had a lot of explaining to do if our landlord caught me giving away the meal his dear wife cooked.

idli

dipped in the sambar
Nom nom nom



Next is the good old garlic naan and my absolute FAVOURITE way to have chicken: reshmi chicken. The marinade makes it the most juicy chicken ever. Seriously. Josiah and I turned into feral cats over the last piece.
Garlic naan. Not too doughy, not too thin and smoked to perfection.

Josiah folding his reshmi naan roll





This was Josiah's takeout today - the Mini Punjab Kabab 'Surprise'.
The surprise being that it's made of dog turds. 

Mmm dog turd

'Curd rice'
I ordered this expecting it to be a sweet rice dessert
but instead it was a nasty, salty, icky dish that makes you grab for the napkin. Or in my case, my husband's sleeve.

Tandoori Gobi. I had high hopes since I usually love things cooked in the tandoor.
But this was gross. It had an awful yellowy sour marinade on it.
Bad. Bad. Bad.

This was wanton soup which Josiah had in Darjeeling. Pretty good actually.

Fried momo ('moo moo'). They're sort of like dim sims 


Toomba - ask for it if you go to LaChen.


Our plane leaves in about 12 hours (!!) so I should probably finish packing otherwise I'll be up all night.

Next time I post, it will be from the US of A!

No comments:

Post a Comment