Monday 12 March 2012

We're in Thailand!

In the 10 days since my last post, we've moved to Thailand! During our month in the US we went to 16 states and even popped over into Canada for a bit. We really enjoyed ourselves and we will be definitely be back! 


Here’s a brief summary of my thoughts on America.

If you drink coffee, you gotta read this: 
 http://theoatmeal.com/comics/caffeine 
What I loved:
1. Cheap-as coffee. Like $1 for a gigantic, gives-you-the-shakes, makes-you-desperate-to-pee, diarrhoea-inducing, size. 

2. The scenery. 90% of America was more beautiful than the most beautiful 10% of India. It's a fact!! Ok, more like just my opinion. But seriously, after being in India for so long, I didn't realise how much I'd miss seeing trees and grass and roads that weren’t covered with the garbage of a billion people who just can’t be arsed putting their rubbish in the bin. 

3. The food! Americans know how to put on a good buffet. After reading this hilarious article a while back (http://www.punny.org/money/eat-your-moneys-worth-at-any-all-you-can-eat-buffet/) Josiah and I put those tips to good use at the Golden Corral. I can confirm that we indeed got our money's worth! We were in absolute, stomach-splitting, agony when we got home.  Job well done I'd say. 

4. The weather. I had always hated the cold – chilblains on fingers, wind burn on your cheeks, your face turning into one giant, dried flake of skin   no thank you! But after this trip I am a converted snow bunny! I adore winter fashion. I love everything from the stylish boots to the big coats that mean you can let your gut hang over your jeans. No sucking in needed. Oh yeah.

5. The people. Americans are so much friendlier than I’d expected! Although it would have been hard to disappoint me - I went over totally convinced that they were all arrogant, obnoxious, gun wielding fatties. So delighted I was wrong!

Now for the stuff I wasn’t so keen on:
1. The waitresses. Oh my goodness. When I’m at a restaurant eating my food, I don’t want someone hovering around, please. It spoils a romantic mood faster than a fart.

2. You never know how much anything will actually cost because they don’t include the long list of fees and taxes in their advertised price. What you think is a $3 burger ends up twice as much once you eat it and are presented with the bill. 


3. Hearing “how you doin?” by males of various ages and stages of inebriation. 
Seriously, guys? Come on. Even Matt LeBlanc had trouble pulling that one off.

4. I didn't spot any flying deer crossing the highway. Why advertise them if you don't really have them?
False advertising by the US government.
5. The dairy situation in the US. Why on earth do they dye their cheese orange?! I'm serious, food colouring was one of the ingredients on all of the packets of cheddar we bought. What's wrong with natural, cream coloured cheese? Why must it be fluoro orange? And don’t get me started on the yoghurt. Unless we went specifically to a wholefood type store, we could only get low fat or 0% yoghurt. And 0% yoghurt is truly an abomination to mankind.


I've started my post on DisneyWorld so hopefully I'll get it finished soon. I'll leave you with a few pictures of our USA adventure.



Josiah and I would fight over who got to brush the snow off the car

Fireworks at DisneyWorld's Epcot Park

If I get married again, I'll be wearing this FOR SURE

An upside down building, on purpose.
Those crazy Americans
Central Park.
  

I lost a few fingers to frost bite to get this shot.


It's snowing!!


A "Southern Style" buffet.
They bring all the food to you, and then roll you out to your car.
No walking required.
We met this lovely couple on the plane and even after getting to know us,
they still invited us to stay with them

cape cod - one of my favourite places in the world
I love how the snow is clinging to the grass (middle of the pic)
Tree branches covered in thick white ice.
It was stunning! More so than Niagara falls even (very blasphemous of me, I know)
 
a winter wonderland!

Niagara Falls from the Canadian side

No comments:

Post a Comment