Tuesday 24 April 2012

Phnom Penh to Bangkok

"Travelling light" does not compute.
Among other things, in our possession we have 2 pots, a cheese grater,
and 5 half-used bottles of deodorant
We hate to make plans for the future but since our Cambodian visas were just about run, we had to pick a place to go next. So it's back to Bangkok we go, and our flight is tomorrow afternoon!
We only booked 40 kgs which to the average traveler is ample, but for us, well...we were forced to take a long hard look at our current luggage situation.

The problem is we haven't had to catch a plane for almost 2 months and in that time I may have done some shopping.

Ok, a LOT of shopping! Our bags are so heavy I get embarrassed every time we move hotels and the porter goes to lift a bag and can't even get it off the ground. Cue scoffs and/or hysterical laughter from the taxi driver who's been through the experience himself.

I've been hoping that somehow our stuff will magically get lighter, but alas, this hasn't happened and we may actually need to do something drastic.

So what did we do?

The same bloody thing that got us into this mess!!
For once, yes, we actually wanted a tuk tuk
MOAR SHOPPING. Believe me, I don't know how it happened, but one second we were in our room at the guesthouse and the next we were in the famous Russian markets and I was haggling with a store woman over another pair of jeans. In my defense, the clothes are WAY cheaper here than in Thailand. And because they have designer brand clothing factories right here in PP, the clothes that don't quite make the cut for export end up at the markets (specifically the "Russian" Market).

MOAR BAGS!!!




Josiah being the brains in this relationship, cleverly thought that the best solution to our luggage problem would be to simply buy MORE BAGS! (It made sense at the time). Lucky for us there were lots to choose from! Big ones, small ones, leather ones, hard ones, cloth ones, broken ones....take your pick!


Tonight, I've decided to do a good purge of all my old stuff to make way for the new. I'll confess that I am a bit of a hoarder. In fact, the t-shirt I'm wearing right now is one I bought from Tight-Rope in Indooroopilly back in 2006. Now that's quality.



Cambodia. Where a ceiling fan is also a shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment